Re: [ST] Stumptown?

> "stumptown" - well, i was stumped. so i grabbed google, which
listed
> Portland; Guerneville, Ca; Whitefish [or Kalispell?], Mt;
Charlotte -
> Mecklenburg, NC...  even Stumptown, Co, before i quit paging
through.

Right first time!  I knew there was a reason I liked Google.
Portland (OR) has had the "Stumptown" nickname for as long as I
can remember & I'm no spring chicken.  There are at least four
businesses which use the moniker---the most famous of which is
the Stumptown Jazz Band---which likely comes from the remnants of
clearing the land for the city back in the early 1800's.

 > now i *would* have believed Portland, except for the other
part of the
> post: "Saw an unusual bright glow in the sky, too.
> Someone said it was the sun???"

Yeah, there were several UFO reports and the natives were falling
all over each other from squinting so much.  Not to mention the
traffic jams. . .  it seems no one knows where they left their
sunglasses. . .

> Sunshine? Portland? is light deprivation causing delusional
visions?
> another manifestation of PMS? our planet switched poles again?

It's a well kept secret that we frequently have better weather in
the winter than we do in the summer.  Last week we were over at
the coast, walking on the beach in our shirtsleeves, in January
fer chrissakes!  The big concern is the frozen chosen will hear
of this & swarm into the state wrecking our recession, inflating
property values & ruining our worst-in-the-nation unemployment
rate.

- -Rick in Oregon <-- where its back to normal today.
Fifty-something degrees but gray & drizzly.
'01 Sprint ST

End of st-digest V2002 #777