Re: [ST] SPAM in your ST list email

In your message regarding [ST] SPAM in your ST list email dated Wed,
02 Jul 2003 14:09:07 -0500, Scott said that ...

>S- Howdy Mike,
>S-
>S- 	I too hate getting so much SPAM. However please be aware, that
>S- you can have an email address, NEVER use it at all, and still the
>S- spammers can find it based on the mail server address. About the only
>S- way to prevent this is to run your very own personal mail server on
>S- your own physical hardware.

Hi Scott

I do - I run a Linux server with Sendmail as my MTA.  I have
SpamAssassin running on it but hadn't integrated it for my list
address since to date it hadn't received any spam - I have now!

However, even if you were to go to such
>S- extremes, there is nothing that prevents a spammer from signing up on
>S- the list and then harvesting email address from either the direct
>S- emails sent by the list or from digests sent by the list.

That really pisses me off.  I can just about tolerate spam harvested
from web pages, newsgroups and the like and I make every attempt to
prevent that ......but a harvesting private list just shows the
depths to which they will sink.  I never read it it just gets deleted
but it is irritating all the same.

>S- 	I too have tried using a single email address for a specific
>S- purpose. About the only thing it accomplishes is that it takes a little
>S- longer for the spammers to find the address. So far, I have not had a
>S- single address that did not eventually succumb. :-(
>S-
>S- 	What is really getting bad for me is FAX spamming. Every day I
>S- get home and have several spam faxes waiting for me. This is pissing me
>S- off because I have to pay for that paper. Unfortunately, because of my
>S- work, my fax has to be ready to receive 24hrs a day whether I am there
>S- or not. Needless to say, I am going through a lot of paper. I hate
>S- clammoring for another law to be passed but something has got to be
>S- done about this overwhelming abuse of unsolicited spam: faxed, emailed,
>S- snail mailed or otherwise!!

In the UK we have an opt out system for faxes and they can be
successfully prosecuted for transgressing this.  Not so for email so
far.

Thanks for your comments.

- --
Mike Bostock