[ST] brakes

Rich,
You don't need to do the rubber band thing. When you stop at a light or such, just squeeze and hold the lever hard for several seconds, then repeat the squeeze a couple of times. That should bring them back to the normal braking area of lever pull. This shouldn't require repeating for a few weeks. At any rate, this quick fix has always served me well. If it feels a bit spongy after that, bleed the brakes.
Bare

The problem:  I've got way too my free play in my front brake lever.  That
is, the first part of travel in the lever elicits no braking response from
my ST.  With my past bikes, I've gotten used to having the brakes start to
work at the first movement of the lever.  And having that extra "slop"
completely throws off my timing.

I know about the "fixes" listed here in previous times:
a.  rubberband around the brakes lever while the bike is parked
b.  continually removing the calipers and cleaning them

But, both "a" and "b" are temporary, at best.

I'm looking for a permanent solution.  My first choice would be to do
something to the ST's brakes to get then the way I want.  My second choice
would be to just replace them.

Rich