[ST] Re: st-digest V2002 #1087

In a message dated 7/4/03 9:56:23 PM, owner-st-digest@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< The problem:  I've got way too my free play in my front brake lever.  That
is, the first part of travel in the lever elicits no braking response from
my ST.  With my past bikes, I've gotten used to having the brakes start to
work at the first movement of the lever.  And having that extra "slop"
completely throws off my timing. >>

I have seen this complaint mentioned in every magazine test report of a
Hinckley motorcycle that I have ever read, and both Hinckleys that I have owned do
it. ie "They all do that, sir" Only one with a partial remedy is the 2000
Sprint ST that had a kink in the short rubber hose from the resevoir to the master
cylinder which prevented the master cylinder from filling completely. I think
there may be a factory recall, involving a different bracket for the master
cyl. My '99 ST has a longer bracket, and doesn't have the kink, but still has a
lot of free play in the brake lever. In spite of this, it stops very well.
You may have to get used to it. Dave Collins, San Diego.

End of st-digest V2002 #1089