Re: [ST] Nighthawk 650 vs Yam Radian

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 02:24:38PM -0500, Scott Friday wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> We are looking at some used bikes for a lady friend that is 5'2". We
> are going to look at an 1984 HONDA Nighthawk CB650SC and an 1989 Yamaha
> YX600S Radian. Both appear to be in excellent cosmetic condition, no
> idea about the mechanicals just yet. Any lister comments, cautions,
> look for this recommendations, etc,...?

Never ridden a radian, but I owned a 1983 CB650SC nighthawk for a few
years.  It's a good bike.  It has shaft drive and hydraulic valves, so
there's virtually no maintenance.  Just change the oil and get new tires
every few years.

Having said that, it's not a great bike.  Seating position put too much
weight on my tailbone.  It might be a little tall for your lady friend.
It's not overly fast or flickable in the corners, but it's a good,
dependable, utilitarian bike with enough power for riding on the
highways in TX.  And after a year or two, you can probably sell it for
what you paid for it.

The only problems with mine were a leak in the valve cover gasket, the
rubber turn signal stalks dry-rotted and broke off, and the flasher
relay was going out, so sometimes the signals wouldn't blink.

Laters,
Brian
- --
Euless, TX