RE: [ST] 46mm, R u kidding me?

original message:
>From: "Ken Mitchell" <kp.mitchell@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> > 3) What do u guys carry on your bikes?
>

>I always get a kick out of answering this one!
ken

OK Ken, now you've REALLY done it.  :)  Here is a list I put together a few
years back.  If I ain't got it you don't need it.  :)))

After 30 years and well over a quarter million miles on the road, I've
learned a few things about what I might need, under various circumstances.

I take back what I said earlier about not packing it if I can buy it.  And
the reason being, every time I need something out on the road, it's in the
middle of Bumfart Arkansas. Like spare batteries...or somesuch,
so here is my list of essentials.  Not including my regular riding gear or
changes of clothes..............

Must haves on a multi-day trip...........

In the tailpack:

Raingear (Tourmaster suit)
Gerbings electric jacket liner
Disc Lock
Cable Lock
Bike Cover
Siphon Hose (lifesaver, when needed)
Spare Clutch cable (ditto)
small can of chain wax (gotta stay lubed)

In the Saddlebags:

Jug of Water!! (stay hydrated) along with a camelback
Toiletry Kit
Toilet Paper (sometimes ya just gotta....)
Trash Bags, Lg. (great waterproofer, in a pinch)
First Aid Kit (need I explain)
Chemical Flares
Custom Tool Kit (this includes a few ST specific tools)
Duct Tape!!!
Cable Ties (16" about a dozen)
Amalgamating Tape
Vise Grips, 1 sm. 1 med. (saved many a trip, make great brake pedal ect)
Super Glue
Spare Fuses
Tire Repair Kit
Extra CO2 cartridges
Tire Pressure gauge
Spare Flashlight Batteries (like I said, when you need'em....)
1 qt. Mobile 1 oil (not easily found on the road)

Steel "Clay", this is amazing stuff that you can fashion into almost any
form, including self made BOLTS, and is great for stopping a leak in your
radiator, or oil cooler

Light Socket screw-in thingy, for an electrical plug outlet, this is
essential when the wall sockets in your room do not function or are just
worn out, just screw this into a light fixture to recharge your cell phone,
Chatterbox, ect,

In the TankBag:

Cell Phone (ALL riders, carry a cell! This could be life or death)
Digital Camera
FM Radio & ear buds (for those long boring stretches)
Moist Wipes
Pen & Paper (ever needed to leave a note at rendezvous missed?)
MAPS
Hi-Liter
Mag-Light (the best)
Sunscreen
BMW plug to Cig adaptor (you can run anything then)
Spare ear plugs
Spare Gloves (nothing worse than wet gloves as your only option)
Spare Visor (I like to have one clear, one tinted at all times)
Spare eyeglasses (ever lost your spec's on the road?  Not fun)
Spare key to the Bike! (duh)
2 or 3 old Rags
Wee Willy, visor cleaner kit (once you've used one, you will know)
Zip lock bags (two sizes, 3 of each, ya gotta keep some stuff dry)
Leatherman tool (does it all, you can fell a tree with this)
Ibuprophen (nothing is fun with a headache, improves bloodflow too!)
Chapstick
Honey-Lemon Drops (chase away cottonmouth)
Beef Jerky (I can live for days on it)

and in lieu of the Glock in the tankbag, I carry PepperSpray,
good to ward off a charging dog or wild animal, or the redneck's at that out
of the way gas stop out there in Bumfart Arkansas.

Whew!!!  Sorry, that was long....but I like to be prepared as you can see.
And this extensive list really does not take up all that much room.  I don't
use every item on every trip (obviously)  but it sure is nice to know it's
there when I need it.  And many times I have saved someone ELSE from a
ruined/delayed trip.

Lastly, if I ever left one of these things out of my "kit" and then needed
it, I would be truly "pissed"!

And now for my camping gear............
(he-eh)

duncan