[ST] Re: st-digest V2002 #1101

In a message dated 7/11/03 9:58:11 PM, owner-st-digest@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< it sure looked like a winner coming out of the box. A little wider seating
> area and a nicely shaped butt pocket. The problems for me seem to be two:
1)
> my butt and the butt pocket aren't in the same spot and 2) I miss the
slant
> of the stock seat surface.
>
> The stock seat's slope forces me forward and up against the tank. I'm very
> happy with this arrangement. It's easy to slide back to duck behind the
> fairing if I want. Or if I want to hang off in a turn, it warks well
because
> I like to rotate my lean-side hip forward a little and stay in contact
with
> the tank. The stocker feels like it might be too soft, but I don't have
any
> hotspots or other issues.
>
> When I climb onto the Sargent and assume my usual position I'm about
1.5-2.0
> inches forward of the butt pocket's rear wall. I'm just not in the right
> spot to take advantage of the Sargent's design. Plus, where I'm sitting is
> flat instead of slanted, and that forces my hips and lower back into a
> slightly different angle. Not much, I suppose, but enough to make me
> constantly fidgit about trying to find a sweet spot. I also quickly
develop
> a couple of hotspots that just don't go away.
>
> So, to get comfy on the Sargent, I have to change the way I sit. I suppose
> the changes dont' sound like much when we write them down, but they seem
> huge on the bike.

For those wanting a true custom saddle, may I recommend NBI Upholstry, 3610
Midway Drive, San Diego. (Don't know zip code or url, but phone # is (619)
223-8801) they will take your measurements, (including even a plaster cast of your
ass, if necessary), and, using your stock seat pan, construct for you a truly
customized saddle,using closed-cell foam, and including a gel pad, if you
wish. The excellence of their service is legendary in this area. Dave Collins,
San Diego (no connection to firm)