[ST] Feels like a new bike

I must tell you that after six months of not riding my ST, I feel like I
have a new bike. Some of you may recall my earlier post about the valves in
my bike where found to be cupped and acting like I had burned valves. Well,
I finally got the head back yesterday and spent half of yesterday and most
of today putting the bike back together. It fired up the first attempt
without so much as a hiccup. I shut it down right away just to check things
over thoroughly. It took me a while to finally get the coolant level full.
At last I put the body panels back on after several heats cycles in the
garage. I did a short ride around the block, then a ride for about 5 miles
and then after letting it cool for a couple of hours I took it for a nice 40
mile ride on my favorite back road. I have been riding my new BMW R1150RT
since January, so I was wondering how the ST would feel after six months of
not riding it. I couldn't have been more pleased with the ride quality. The
ST is truly one of the best bikes made. It is such a perfect blend of power,
handling and gentle ergo's. There are faster bikes, with more power, but
they mostly have terrible ergo's for my body. Anyway, it was great to be
back on the bike. I will use the Sprint mostly for day rides and leave my
BMW for the multi day rides.
By the way, we ended up putting in new valves and springs (stock Triumph)
with the addition of shimming the intake springs a little to give them a
stiffer return. I have a new digital camera and the old cupped valves, and I
will take some photos for any interested parties. Now to put some serious
miles on this bike before summer ends.
Mike Benzon
Burney CA

End of st-digest V2002 #1105