RE: [ST] 99 vs 02 differences/observations

At 13:48 18/07/03, you wrote:
>Just something I was thinking about (and haven't really paid any attention
>to previously), did the RS get the same improvements that the ST got for '02
>(i.e. more power, different gear type for smoother shifting, etc.)?

It sure did. And for '03 (a sure sign it's at the end of its run) there is
even a single sided swing arm version.
I think it's called the SE (Special Edition or some other catchy acronym?)
If it hadn't been for timing, I would have bought an '02 RS, but the
ex-demo ST came up just when I was about to buy and the 02 RS's had
disappeared.

One difference that I've noticed on the later engined 02 (T6?) model is the
presence of a oil dip stick rather than a sight glass. So what you might
say? Well, there is no indication in the manual of how *little* oil it
takes to change the level from min to max. I was lucky in that I only added
a very small amount (~200mls if memory serves me correct) that brought me
up to just below the max mark from just above the min mark.

The following ASCII art tries to make the point if that isn't clear (not to
scale)

| |
| |
|X|
|X| <- ~200mls to here
|X|
|X|
|X| <- Oil was here
|X|
\ /

Has anyone else observed this? Or is it down to my poor balance technique
when checking the oil level?

- - Stephen (Spud) McS.