Re: [ST] Bumpstarting

<<
> I have heard that you can't jump start a bike with solid-state
ignition if
> the battery is dead, as battery power is needed to make the
ignition
> work-is this true? Dave Collins, San Diego

The current needed to crank the engine is much greater than the
ign requires, so if the battery is low but not dead, you should
be able to bump start her.

I just confirmed today that a battery so low it only clicks the relay, but
can't turn the starter, will allow for bump starting, in 2nd gear.  but you
have to keep the rev's above 4k rpm, or the tach stops functioning.  Or
atleast that's what happened to me.  Funny thing, if you used the
turnsignals it also killed the tach.  This after a weekend of thrashing
around Deal's Gap, the Cherohola, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and surrounding
areas.  It happened on the way home, bleh

Steven "Dirty Dawg" Kohlscheen

End of st-digest V2002 #1121