Re: [ST] Measuring Oil Level With Dipstick (2002 RS)

Straddle the bike and hold it upright.  Remove and wipe the dipstick.
Reinsert and screw fully home.  Remove and check the level.  It should
be anywhere in the "x" zone.  Just below the horizontal mark above the
upper X is maximum.

Garry Simmons wrote:
> OK, silly question, but the service manual has left me w/o the critical info
> I need. Which set of marks are you supposed to use when checking the oil?
> There's a mark near the tip, followed by a couple "X", another mark,
> followed by a (faint) "O" (blank on other side), then another mark.
> Something like this (bad ASCII art), where the equals signs are the "marks"
> and the "V" is the tip. Yes, the bike is level and the dipstick has been
> screwed in the whole way to measure...
>
> =
> =
> =
>
> My oil level is basically at the mark between the upper X and the O. I
> suspect it's supposed to be at the mark above the O, but am not sure. It
> took about 3.25L when I did the change a week ago.
>
> Thanks for any info you can provide. I'm feeling like the dipstick right
> now...
>
> Garry

- --
John Albright