Re: [ST] F1 and SpeedTV, it's official! This is good +10!

At 08:19 AM 3/5/03, Jack Hays wrote:

>Off motorcycle but excited and thought some of you would like to know
>unless someone else has beat me to it.
>

>    SPEED Channel, Formula One Ink Three-Year Deal
>   Written by: Erik Arneson - SPEED Channel Public Relations
>   Charlotte, NC ? 3/4/2003
>    The excitement of F1 is now confirmed on SPEED for three years (Photo:
>    Allsport) SPEED Channel  President Jim Liberatore announced today that
>    SPEED Channel has reached an unprecedented three-year agreement with the
>    FIA Formula One World Championship, making SPEED the television home to
>    the complete 16-race Grand Prix racing schedule in 2003, including
>    September's United States Grand Prix in Indianapolis.

Good news indeed. Nice bonus with them getting the Indy race. ABC's
coverage the past 2 years was dreadful. Particularly pre-race (and Danny
Sullivan, bless his heart, might have been an excellent driver......but he
was embarassingly painful to watch/listen to on-camera). ABC seems to have
completely lost it's way w/regards to motorsports (other than Nascar). Too
bad. I remember when they were the only source here in the US for F1 way
back in the 60's and the few races they broadcast several weeks after the
fact (mainly Monaco, Monza and occasionally Nurbergring) were always
welcome at my house.

But for SpeedTV, Debruhl seems to have finally figured out that it takes
more than inane/pointless comments to keep the race interesting....and
Hobbs/Matchett are nice to listen to (though I still miss the two Derricks
along with Sam Posey). Posey/Hobbs/Hall, et. al. also seemed to have a
knack for getting some really nice phone-in guests (Sterling Moss a couple
years back during the InterLagos race in Br). Dunno that the present
company (i.e. DeBruhl and Matchett) have that kinda pull.

Oh well, could be worse......Always look forward (like the past 40+ years)
to start of F1 season.

(2 wheels are a passion at my house......but F1 is a religion)

Charlie McCullough
tz250 WERA#90
Duc 748
Triumph ST