[ST] Mobil 1 15W-50

Hello all,

I currently subscribe only to the digest, so timely interaction is limited.

There has been much discussion as to whether Mobil 1 15W-50 (as sold by
Walmart and others) is suitable for motorcycle use.  The last time I went to
Walmart I decided to look into this myself.  As has been mentioned before,
Mobil 1 15W-50 is not labelled as being "Energy Conserving"(every other jug
I could see on the shelf WAS labelled 'EC').  Therefore most assume that
Mobil 1 15W-50 does not contain the friction modifiers that would upset our
wet clutches.

I called the 800- number listed on the 4-litre jug and was informed the
following:

1. Mobil 1 15W-50 DOES CONTAIN FRICTION MODIFIERS.
2. Mobil 1 15W-50 is not labelled as 'energy conserving' because it does not
meet the API EC specification due to its higher viscosity.  Apparently the
Energy Conserving designation is only relevant to 30 and 40 weight oils.

So where does this leave us in light of the fact that there are a number of
listers that have used Mobil 1 15W-50 for many thousands of miles without
any apparent difficulty with their clutches (or engines for that matter)?
Are we talking about different friction modifiers?

Mobil 1 15W-50 SuperSyn oil meets SL, SH, and SJ performance specifications
(among others).  If the SJ designation indicates lower levels of the
beneficial additives phosphorus and zinc, AND Triumph specifies oil which
meets API-SG or SH specification, where does this leave us if Mobil 1 15W-50
meets the SH specification.  And what does the SL designation imply?

End of st-digest V2002 #861