Re: [ST] Aftermarket handlebars

"Paul" wrote:
> I asked the dealer about fitting Trophy bars on a ST
> and they didn't think it'd work.  Does anyone know?

I looked into this issue 2 years ago.  From memory (so no
guarantees here >o) the issues were:
 - the hole center dimension of the bolts which attach the bars
to the upper triple clamp (UTC).  IIRC the Trophy has 16mm
centers, the ST 20mm
 - the contours of the mating surface between the UTC and the bar
casting
 - the clutch and brake master cylinder mounting details

You may be able to install the Trophy UTC with the Trophy bars on
your ST.  Though dimensionally, the T'Bird, Legend, Adventurer
UTC should also fit and would provide a direct conversion to
tubular bars.  The ST's ignition switch mounting details appear
different in either case

> I have both the GenMar risers and Heli-Bars on my
> '02 ST but would still like them to be a little higher
> due to a pain in my neck <snip>

This is why I've converted mine!

> They do allow some adjustment in two planes within
> the limits of stock cables and I've been pretty happy
> with them so far.  No long trips yet though.  I'll have
> to check out the handlebar adapter mentioned.

If you have Heli Bars, you already have the adaptor!  As to
adjustment, the stock cables can be rerouted to provide
additional reach and there are longer brake hoses available.  I
have a Trophy ft. brake hose on my ST though it's longer than
needed.

Paul - By direct email you should recieve a link to photos of my
ST.
- -Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST