Re: [ST] Electrical Accessories

In your message regarding Re: [ST] Electrical Accessories dated Mon,
24 Mar 2003 10:25:25 -0500, Don Cassidy said that ...

>DC-  This would be correct with the Signal Minder. Once a turn signal has been
>DC-  initiated it must be cancelled with the center button as before. What the
>DC-  unit does, is failsafe the forgotten signal. It does not turn the signals
>DC-  off and reset the system as my former BMW K75. Coming from the Beemer, I
>DC-  have forgotten to cancel my signal. (And I have seen plenty of other riders
>DC-  doing so.) I believe it is a safety improvement and gives me some additional
>DC-  visibility at night. (By the way, in Massachusetts to illuminate the amber
>DC-  turn signals is illegal.) I am unfamiliar with the Datatool piece.

To recap - the Kisan Signal canceller is a replacement for the
turn-signal relay. It automatically cancels (turns off) the
turn-signal after 10/20/30 flashes depending on the dip switch
setting on the unit.  It will stop counting when the brake light is
illuminated and will also convert the turn-signal lights into running
lights.

The disdavantage/limitation of this system AFAICS is:-
1.  Failure to 'reset' the turn-signal switch so that rider
re-activation will fail on a subsequent attempt to indicate a turn in
the same direction of a previously auto-cancelled turn.  This IMHO is
possibly as dangerous as forgetting to cancel your indicator.
2.  Automatic cancelling of hazard warning lights.
3.  Use of turn-signal lamps as running light is not an option in the
UK.

The Datatool Turn Alert is less than half the price of the Kisan,
does not replace the relay.  It provides a loud audible* alert after
20 flashes, it has a bright LED, it also does not count flashes when
the brake light is illuminated.

The disadvantages/limitations of this system are:-
1.  The initiation is preset at 20 flashes, this is not adjustable.
2.  *The alert is audible below 50mph with custom earplugs fitted,
above that and under hard acceleration it is not.  I would like to
see the ability to be able to connect the system into my Autocom.

At the end of the day it should be good practice to remember to
cancel your turn-signal.  However, there are always occasions when
you are distracted by some other event and forget, particularly (I
find) if I am navigating in strange territory.  Any system I believe,
if it doesn't reset the switch, should be designed to alert you to
the fact you have forgotten and not actually turn off the turn-signal.

This is why I prefer the Datatool product over the Kisan.

HTH

- --
Mike Bostock
http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/