Re: [ST] Chain Lubrication

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Don Cummings wrote:

> This has probably been beaten to death in the past but I'm
> fairly new to the list and was wondering what's best for
> the chain on my '00 RS.......wax, gear oil or WD-40?

You'll no doubt get a dozen different answers from folks on
the list; here's mine: I wipe the chain down with a rag
sprayed with WD-40, then lube the chain with PJ-1 Chain
Lube. I try do this about every 500 miles, but I'm not
particularly conscientious about it. I don't bother with
trying to do it when the chain is warm; in fact, it's
usually cold, since I don't do it right after riding.

I got 20,000+ miles out of my first chain using this method,
and even then it didn't really need changing, however the
dealership mechanic was trying to solve a surging problem
and thought it was due to the chain and sprockets (it
wasn't); I now have over 7000 miles on the second chain. The
PJ-1 is nice, as it does not fling off, if given an hour or
so to set before riding.

- -Keith
'00 RS