Re: [ST] RE: Problem starting Sprint ST

Stephen E. Hale wrote:
> Yes, I did check the kill switch.  I tried it a few more times this morning
> and it finally fired up.  Not sure what was wrong but it seems fine now.
> Thanks for the suggestions.

Once I let my ST sit for a couple of months. The fuel had been
stabilized and the battery taken out for trickle charging. When I was
ready to ride it again, it wouldn't start. It would turn over just fine,
but it would never really catch.

Out of curiousity I tried giving it a little throttle while hitting the
starter, and the engine would fire up for a brief time. It ran really
rough, though, and as soon as I'd release the throttle it would die.

After turning on the ignition, trying to start the bike, then turning
off the ignition about a dozen times, the bike would get closer and
closer to starting and staying running. (This was done without touching
the throttle.) After about the 20th cycle it started and kept running.

My guess? With the battery out for so long the ECU forgot the stored
throttle position sensor's reading and needed quite a few cycles to
re-lean it.
- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
San Jose, CA (USA)