Re: [ST] Question on gearing

As a first step, I put a 45 on the rear of my '02, 19/45.  That is,
coincidentally, almost exactly like dropping on tooth in the front.  I
cannot hear a difference in the engine, though logically it is revving
4.7% higher.  The detectable difference is it will now lift the front
wheel if I hamfist the throttle out of an apex in first gear.  It will
not surprise you with wheelies.  Darn!  My conclusion is 1 (5.3%) in the
front, or 2 in the back is not enough.  I have a 17 tooth Triumph
sprocket for the front, I haven't fitted.  I believe it alone, or the
most popular 18/45 combo, will be the best gearing for an all-rounder.

This follows my car experience.  If you don't change the gearing 2
steps, >10%, don't bother.  I dropped the gearing on my Mustang 30% and
gained 1 mpg in the hills of Tennessee.

In the thin air you ride in, even 17/45 would not be too short and a
standard 108 pitch (link) chain will fit.

Keith Winter wrote:
> I decided to put a smaller front sprocket on the RS, as I'm
> not happy with the gearing ..... What is the general opinion on
> this?  How is long distance touring affected by the 17/19
> difference?  Should I send the 17 back and get an 18, or try
> out the 17?  17 is a big drop from 19, percentage-wise, so
> I'm unsure what to do at this point.

- --
John Albright
'02 RS