Re[2]: [ST] Question on gearing

John,

Excellent input; thanks.  I hadn't thought about the thin
air so much, but I you're right, it should be a
consideration. Mostly, my complaint about riding the bike up
here with stock gearing is that, in many instances (like in
the many switch backs on the backside of Ebbetts Pass), 1st
is just too low and 2nd is too tall, and I can't get the
engine just right.

As you all respond to my question, I'm coming to the
conclusion that I should put the 17T on and see how it works
out.  I suppose that, for long rides, like to the rally in
NM, I could put the 19T back on.  I can watch the mileage
and see if it's worthwhile.

Thanks again for your response.

- -Keith

On Saturday, May 24, 2003, 6:58:29 PM, Colt4530 wrote:

> As a first step, I put a 45 on the rear of my '02, 19/45.  That is,
> coincidentally, almost exactly like dropping on tooth in the front.  I
> cannot hear a difference in the engine, though logically it is revving
> 4.7% higher.  The detectable difference is it will now lift the front
> wheel if I hamfist the throttle out of an apex in first gear.  It will
> not surprise you with wheelies.  Darn!  My conclusion is 1 (5.3%) in the
> front, or 2 in the back is not enough.  I have a 17 tooth Triumph
> sprocket for the front, I haven't fitted.  I believe it alone, or the
> most popular 18/45 combo, will be the best gearing for an all-rounder.

> This follows my car experience.  If you don't change the gearing 2
steps, >>10%, don't bother.  I dropped the gearing on my Mustang 30% and