RE: Re[2]: [ST] Question on gearing

The replacement washer doesn't have tabs like the originals, however, the
washer is large enough to bend part of the washer over the nut.  If you have
the April '03 Motorcyclist, they show this in picture 11 on the How-To
section.  The pictures (except for #4) happen to be of a Triumph (Speed
Triple I think).  I would definitely recommend bending the washer over the
nut.  It would be a bad surprise if it came off.

I couldn't get the countershaft nut off mine at first either.  Impact
wrenches rule!

Dan Wallander
www.danwallander.com
Albuquerque, NM
'99 Triumph Sprint ST
'74 BMW R90/6

IIRC they are not reverse threaded.  I used my large rachet with a pipe
sliped over it as you describe for a breaker bar, but had the bike on it's
wheels, in gear, and someone sitting on it with the rear brake applied to
break it loose.   You do have to unbend the tab on the lock washer of
course, but the replacement washer is different in design, no bending
tabs?  I reused the original with the tabs as it seemed more secure.

- --