Re: [ST] Push starting an ST

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Just Daetrin wrote:

> I've had to do this once and it was a major PITA.  The street I was on had a
> slight downhill grade, but after 5 tries on my own I was exhausted (paddle
> like a madman as fast as you can go before you hit the intersection, then
> pop the clutch. Skiiiiiid goes the back tire. Damn.  Walk the bike backwards
> the whole block, calves burning.  Now do this again four more times in
> riding gear).

Cripes, I know I would not want to have to bump-start my ST.  But I have
done it on the Hawk GT before...the technique I've seen most often is to
run along side the bike with it in second or third gear, get up a little
speed, then jump onto the bike and when your bum hits the saddle, that
compression is supposed to give you the extra weight you need so that the
tire doesn't just skid when you pop the clutch.

I think I'll just get some heavy gauge speaker wire and make some small
portable jumper cables!

- --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST -mine
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 VFR800FI -hers         /~\
"No I don't want a pickle..."   /H\   '89 Hawk GT  -ours   ASCII \ / Against
      bil@xxxxxxxxxx           (=O=)  AMA, CMH-Moto,      Ribbon  X  HTML
"Drink Real Ale"  "Quch!"  #3    U    DoD(6.66), HSTA!  Campaign / \ Mail