Re: [ST] Cheaper

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 07:44:03AM -0700, Bryce wrote:
> > My pillion is more comfy on the vfr.  We're going to
> > Colorado on it in
> > June from TX.
>
> Are the rear pegs lower on the VFR or something?  Or
> is it the seat?

I think the pegs sit lower.

> > On the
> > Sprint, there's a special triumph tool ($) needed to
> > check the valves.
>
> How much does this tool cost?

I think it's $45 or so, someone correct me if I'm wrong.  Also, to
remove the rear wheel (yourself or if you're touring and need a tire at
a non-Triumph dealer), you will need a gigantic 46mm socket, or a 1
13/16" available from sears for $20 will work.

> > I had 3 adjusted on the Sprint at 10k.
>
> What about as the bike has more miles on it?  or did u sell it after
> 10k?

I should also mention that my bike had an engine rebuild at 6k.
I totalled the bike at 25k and never had the 24k service done, so I
don't know.

> >I know of at least 5 ST motors that have been rebuilt.  My Sprint
> >consumed and leaked oil, and I know of others with oil-consuming
> >Triumphs.
>
> Was this with pre 2002 Sprint STs by chance or the redesigned ones
> also?

Pre 2002.  (I think I've only ever ridden with 1 person that has an 02
or later.)  If you buy a post 2001, you lose the lovely John Deere idle
sound.  :)

> > Also, don't know what your luggage needs/wants are, but since you
> > seem to be planning on riding with a pillion I'll bring this up.
> > You can get givi mounting kits for the VFR, not for the Sprint
> > (well, unless you order from New Zealand).
>

> Currently happy with soft, but doesn't the ST have
> Givi option?:
> http://store.yahoo.com/azmotorsports/triumph.html

The Triumph soft panniers are great and reasonably priced.  The tankbag
is also very well made.  Still, many choose the ST because of the hard
luggage offerings.

Interesting.  I didn't know anybody in the US had Givi tubular sideracks
for the ST (and I just bought my givi setup for the honda from AZM).
I've never heard of anyone that had them, just a few who bought tubular
racks from the place in NZ (thunderbikes?) and I thought those were not
givi brand.

But, for a 3 bag givi setup on the ST (assuming the givi sideracks are
compatible with the triumph luggage rack? don't see any reason they
shouldn't be), you'd need the tubular side racks $125, Triumph Luggage
rack ~$200, and the topcase adaptor for $110--over $400 total, which
negates much of the costs savings of buying givi.  For my honda, the
mounting kit + wingrack2 (much sturdier than the tubular sidecases) was
$200.

Laters,
Brian
- --