Re: [ST] jump starts

On Fri, 30 May 2003 13:46:45 -0700, Neil Lindsey wrote:

>It is an electrical LOAD, such as the motorcycle starter, that DRAWS
current
>from the electrical source.  Current is not PUSHED into the load.  The
>electrical resistance of the load determines how much current it draws,
and
>this does not change if the car's motor is running, nor will it change the
>current drawn by any other electrical device on the motorcycle.

When you wrote "electrical resistance of the load determines how much
current...", you left out the Voltage! If the resistance is fixed, then 13.5V will
flow more current then 12.0V.

I have heard from many sources (forgotten) that you should not run the car
when you jump a motorcycle. I feel that is not required, but it will always be
safer.
Also a minor over voltage will not burn out many electrical things, but it will
shorten there life expectancy.

David W. Funk
'00 Triumph Sprint ST
Pleasanton, CA