[ST] Triumph vs. Guzzi V11S (long)

I haven't ridden a Guzzi LeMans, but I do own a V11 Sport (the "naked" version of the LeMans) as well as a Sprint ST.

The bikes have similar riding positions, though the pegs are higher on the V11. The bikes weigh about the same. The ST motor is smoother and makes significantly more top-end power, but the engines offer similar performance for the majority of riding conditions. The Guzzi has an unmistakable lumpy v-twin cadence and (with aftermarket pipes) the exhaust note is Italian music at its finest, perhaps even more appealing than the Triumph triple howl.

The Guzzi can transmit substantial vibration through the bars, the chief complaint of new owners. I've heard this is less of an issue on the LeMans than the V11 Sport. If present, this subsides as the engine breaks in (which, for a Guzzi, can take >10k miles).

The 6-speed Guzzi gearbox is amazing, with light, positive shifts. Much better than the older Guzzis, and better, perhaps, than Triumph's. The shaft drive and engine layout still impose some "interesting" forces on the bike during throttle transitions, though these have largely been minimized by clever engineering.

The Guzzi brakes are very good.

The Guzzi is a lazier-steering bike than the ST. The suspension offers more adjustment than the Sprint, but can never really be dialed in enough to offer the suppleness of the Triumph. The ride on my V11 is great on smooth pavement, jarring over the rough stuff. The Sprint generally feels better composed and is easier to ride fast.

The overall fit and finish of the Triumph is superior, and the ST is generally more refined. New Guzzis often have initial quality issues: mine were quickly addressed by a great local dealer.

If I had to have one bike, I'd choose the Sprint, though it feels a bit bland and boring compared to the V11. For all its flaws, the Guzzi has more character, style and passion than the Sprint and for me is a more satisfying bike to ride.