[ST] Re: Possible bad Triumph valve design

Hi Mike B,
RE your shop's conclusions about valves:  I think they are feeding you
one hell of a big bunch of bullshit.  First:  Your leakdown test pretty
much confirms that your valves were way out of adjustment.  If the
valves lose all clearance, then they cannot fully seat as they are still
zeroed out against the heel of the cams.  (This assumes you're not
leaking past the rings or head gasket.)  When that happens, the exhaust
valves will get scorched as they are constantly getting blow-by from
combustion, instead of sealing the chamber and getting max compression
from the ignition, and then expelling the hot gasses.  Second:  The
blow-by will fry the valve seats as well which in turn will transfer the
distortion to the valve.  Bottom line, valve clearance is important.
It's better to be loose on the adjustment than too tight (zero lash).

I have owned Triumphs since 96 and have been active on the internet
since then too.  I have NEVER heard the line of crap your shop gave you.
I don't know how they can claim a world wide problem with Triumph
valves.  It's the first I've heard of it.

Cheers,
Jonathan West
95 Trophy 4
96 Super III