Re: [ST] 17/45 gearing.

Ken Thompson wrote:

 >>this would change a 75mph cruising speed from 4700 rpm (on a 1999's
 >>18/43 ratio) to around 5100rpm. Since I don't do a lot of high speed
 >>riding, I don't mind the loss of top speed potential.
 >>
 >>Any thoughts?
 >
 >Yeah, you must be either a drag racer type or just cruise around
 >town. Personally I don't get it but then whatever floats yer boat.
 >Ken T. from Ca.

An ST drag bike...  That would be...  er...  "different".

No, I ride a lot of narrow roads with tight, blind corners (no shoulders,
just rock walls).  I find that on several of these I end up at about 20-25
mph.  At that speed I either need to lug the engine through the corner at
2500 rpm, or try to jam the shifter into 1st (which it doesn't do easily
over about 12-15 mph).  Changing the final drive ratio should fix this.

At first I was just going to change the front sprocket to 17 teeth, but I
wasn't sure if that would be enough (3000 rpm).  A 17/45 ratio should put
this speed into the 3200 rpm range, which is where the power starts coming
on for the ST's engine.

As I said before, I try to avoid Interstates (if I can) on my trips so top
speed is not important.  (That and I can't afford to have my insurance jump
again.)

John Hickman
Lexington, KY