Re: [ST] dilemma

At 12:35 04/11/03, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>A friend of mine has totaled his '00 ST (~28k miles)
>
>He had an incident in the rain with a puddle on the highway, the bike went
>out from under him he separated from it and slid down the highway some 400
>yards. Luckily he was unharmed, and his gear performed as designed!

Sorry to hear of your friend's separation from his ST, but good to hear his
protective gear performed as advertised.

>Now the dilemma........He loves the ST and is faced with the big decision.
>Go for a '03,  go for a used '01  jump ship to a Futura or try a tiger?

A well set-up Tiger can be awesome. If you take a look at the Yahoo Triumph
Tiger group there are some interesting tales. Once you get over how far
over something that tall really can lean, they are very, very quick on
(bumpy) roads that have most sports bikes tied up in knots. The front
suspension (like the STs) comes in for some less-than-favorable comments,
but the fixes are well documented.

If you have the legs for it (even though I'm nearly 6', at 147lbs dry
weight I don't have the "presence" required to bring the Tiger properly
down to size), the Tiger is a great bike. Different from the ST, but great.
The later 955i is the one I'd go for.

>The individual likes long trips to the northeast, likes sport riding/touring
>comes in at about 6'-1" 220 lbs (guessing)

Sounds like the ideal proportions for a Tiger (I daren't even mention a GS
on here I suppose .....)

>I am querying the group to see, given the need to walk away from their
>current ST
>
>What would you do?

Buy another ST - but only after trying the Tiger, an R1150R, an R1100S, a
Falco, or even .... a MultiStrada (Now donning flame proof clothing).

I'd probably still buy the ST though.

- - Spud.