RE: [ST] Loose Header Nuts

It is much easier to tighten these nuts when the oil cooler/radiator are
removed.  The oil cooler can be detached without disconnecting the oil
lines and moved out of the way.  Support the oil cooler and do not stress
the lines by hanging the cooler by them.  You have to remove the cooling
lines to move the radiator and you will have to renew the fluid (a quart or
so IIRC)  It appears, though, that with the bodywork removed that you can
get to those nuts with a combination of deep socket, shorty extensions and
a u-joint type extension or two.  These nuts do need to be torqued to the
same spec to avoid distorting the flanges and pipes and so they don't work
their way loose again, so it would be best to remove the coolers.  You MAY
be able to just move the oil cooler and get to these nuts.

I use a small dab of antisieze on each nut so they come off easier next
time. Loc-tite is not recommended here.

When you put it all back together, make sure you are very careful with the
radiator and the fasteners as it is pretty fragile and very expensive.

Dan Wallander
www.danwallander.com
VP-TSRA, IBA, AMA, ABC, HSTA
1974 R90/6    1999 Triumph Sprint ST