Re: [ST] Brake Pads??

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:23:40 -0500, Masiak, Richard wrote:

>I'm changing my tyres and lo, after 18000 mi. I am finally in need of brake
>pads.  At least the rear.  I haven't taken off the front wheel yet, but I
>surmise I'll need them too.
>
>I don't think I want to use OEM pads.  Before I make the decision, does
>anyone know if there are better pads to use?
>(i.e. better braking power,feel,wear,etc.)

I have used Ferodo FDB557ST and Galfer FD099G1054 front brake pads. I
only used the Triumph pads for a short while (used bike) so I can't say much
about them. I thought they were fine. I liked the Ferodo pads better then the
Galfer. Nothing wrong with the Galfer, mostly the Ferodo's lasted 35%
longer.

When I went to buy new Ferodo pods my first call went to "Ferodo Brake
Tech". Then no longer carry the FDB557ST, but they guy talked me into
trying the FDB557XR. The XR is more a race pad, but he said it works great
cold or hot. The backing plate on the XR is thicker (better heat dissipation),
so the pad is thinner and will not last as long. I got 22k miles from the ST
pads, so I took the chance with the XR's. I have not installed them yet.

For the rear pads, which lasted me 41k, I bought EBC/Premier FA214/2.
These feel the same as Triumph pad to me. i.e. the rear brake has almost
no stopping power.

David W. Funk
'00 Triumph Sprint ST
Pleasanton, CA