Re: [ST] Near miss Friday - Brake question

On Wednesday, November 12, 2003, at 06:11  PM, collett_mc wrote:
>     My brake question is this - I've got that problem with the Sprint
> mushy
> front brakes.  You know what I'm talking about - no amount of bleeding
> seems
> to solve it.  The lever firms up with use but then flabs out if you
> don't
> use it for awhile (i.e. cruising down the road like we were).

I've only found treatments, not cures.  I unbolt the calipers, pump the
brake lever to fully extend the pistons, spray the pistons with some
carb cleaner and scrub with a toothbrush.  Then I work the pistons in
and out of the caliper several times to make sure they glide smoothly.
Seems to hold for about 3,000 miles or so.

Dan Wallander seems to have had better luck in replacing the seals.
Triumph recommends their replacement every 12K miles, IIRC, but I don't
know of any dealers that really do that as part of a 12K service.

Glad you're still with us!
- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
President, Triumph Sport Riders Assoc.