RE: [ST] Short results and some chilling facts

Neal,

I haven't read any other responses, but here's my take on electrics:

I went with the Widder vest with the thermostat control. I strongly considered the Gerbing jacket liner, but in the end, I prefered the nice plush softer material around the collar area of the Widder to the nylon collar of the Gerbing. The vest has two snaps that will allow me to affix optional sleeves should I want to.

Mainly because I am already bored enough with wiring myself to the bike, I also opted for the heated grips on the ST. I can see getting extremely annoyed with having to hook up the wires on heated gloves in addition.

One note if you opt for the thermostat (which lets you fine-tune the temperature): get a strip of velcro hook material and put it on some location on your bike. There is a piece of velcro pile material on the thermostat that will allow you to afix it to a the velcro hook material. The thermostat device itself is a bit on the heavy side and should the pig-tail come out of the vest, it is long enough to drag under the rear wheel of the bike.

My setup:
Tourmaster Cortex Pants
First Gear Killamanjaro Jacket
Widder vest
long sleave shirt of choice
thin balaclava
your average winter gloves
Triumph Explorer Boots

This had me riding my 30 mile commute in relative comfort last winter in temps from the mid thirties to the low forties.

FYI, I have a friend who is very happy with the Aerostich one-piece with their heated jacket. He's so happy (and the 'stiches have come with such high universal recommendations) that one all this stuff wears out, I am strongly considering going with that setup.

Peter Chittum
'01 BRG ST
San Jose, CA, USA