RE: Re[2]: [ST] RE: Front Wheel Removal

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Masiak, Richard wrote:

> Nice.  I've already got the bead breaking part licked.  I was looking for
> something to remove the tires.  Those tire levers look nice, except they
> don't appear to be coated.  How would one avoid maring the wheel whilst
> prying the tire?  Especially a soft alloy as our wheels.

Most of the places that sell tire tools also sell the plastic rim
protectors.  A local friend that's been doing my changes and trying to
teach me uses 4 to 6 of 'em at a time, so you wanna get a good handful of
them.  But no matter what, no matter how careful we are it always seems we
scratch something along the way somewhere.  The black paint on my '99 rims
seems especially soft and easy to damage, not sure if that is the case
with others.  Also the shape of our rear rim being very shallow in the
"dish" makes changes challenging.  Being patient and finding the right
placement of the tire, the spoons, and the rim are key.  And I'm told get
the long irons.

With 3 bike to keep shod I'll be ordering something soon for sure, prolly
a combo of TireQwik and some other add-ons.

- --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST -mine
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 VFR800FI -hers         /~\
"No I don't want a pickle..."   /H\   '89 Hawk GT  -ours   ASCII \ / Against
      bil@xxxxxxxxxx           (=O=)  AMA, CMH-Moto,      Ribbon  X  HTML
"Drink Real Ale"  "Quch!"  #3    U    DoD(6.66), HSTA!  Campaign / \ Mail