Re: [ST] Brakes Arrgh! Brakes

> 1) Is there a less expensive after-market seal kit available or
> anm I stuck with OEM?

Rich,
Your dealer is right from a safety and technical standpoint.  That
said, I agree that you could likely find another source for the seal
kits.  The question is from what source?  And would they be exactly
right?  Ask yourself if your life is worth the $$ you might save.

The operation itself is pretty basic, IF you're technically inclined.
Nothing personal, but I've got *serious* questions about that if
you're using a petroleum product in conjunction with brake systems.

The factory workshop manual[1] states:  "WARNING: Never use mineral
based grease in any part of the braking system or in area where
contact with the braking system is possible.  Mineral based grease
will damage the hydraulic seals in the calipers and master cylinder.
Damage caused by contact with mineral based grease may reduce braking
efficiency resulting in an accident"

Now it's been a many years while since I was 'immersed'[2] in the
language of our beloved Mother Country but if my recollection of The
Queen's English is correct,

- --> If you've cleaned the seals with WD-40, they're junk! <--

. . .and all remaining traces need to be removed with a brake-specific
cleaning product prior to reassembly.

> 2) Should I even consider doing the job myself or bring it
> to a shop?

Seriously, Rich!  Take it to a shop!!!
- --
Good luck,