[ST] RE: ST longevity

I guess I'll bore the list again with my experience, again :)

I put 45k miles on a 1999 Sprint ST I purchased new in April of '99.  And I
now have 39k miles on the '02 I purchased new in Feb of 2002.  Between the
two of them, and the 16k miles I put on a '98 Sprint Executive in one year,
I have little worry about the endurance of these bikes.

The '99 model:
  It had one incident of leaving me stranded, but that was an isolated
issue.  I had my dealer put Race Tech cartridge emulators, stiffer springs
and oil in the front forks after about 2 years of use.  I had Sargent redo
the seat after 18k miles(that seat is still in use on the '02 I now have,
65k miles later and it's finally starting to feel alittle weak).  The stock
rear shock was replaced at 32k miles by another OEM shock.  I was still on
the original rear brake pads, and on my 2nd set of front brake pads(EBC
replacements).  I did have to replace one rotor that was warped just short
of the acceptable tolerance.  I could still feel it.  A few chains(can't
remember how many, might have been on my 3rd at trade in), and 2 sets of
sprockets were consumed.  And around trade in time the bike was starting to
use a bit of oil.  But I'm not gentle on bikes, lots of engine braking, lots
of speed.  The valves never required more than a small shim change, and only
in ones and twos.

The '02 model:
Had a backfire problem that I believe has been found in a bad throttle
position sensor.  But it's faithfully taken me to far away places, and
around more than a couple trackdays now.  I did add a Triumph 'sport' can to
this bike.  With the matching tune it brings out just alittle more power,
and lets the motor really sound right.  I haven't replaced any brake pads on
this bike, yet.  The fronts are going to be due soon.  Been thru one chain
and set of sprockets so far.

I grew up in my parents BMW shop, so I expect alot of endurance out of my
sport tourers.  I believe that the Sprint ST will be bringing a smile to my
face for many, many miles(and possibly years) to come.  I never said it was
perfect, but I will strongly state it has no more problems than any other
motorcycle going today.

Steven Kohlscheen
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
AMA life member #548538