[ST] Bad experience at Microtel: Robbinsville, NC

I'm coming out of delurk mode on this one.

On my recent trip to Deal's gap there were many highlights on the 2000 plus
mile ride. Unfortunately, there was one negative experience I feel obligated
to share with fellow listers.

Typically, when I travel by motorcyle I go on a tight budget and lodging is a
major consideration for me when I set up for the night. I make every effort to
keep lodging under $50.  I arrived at the Microtel Inn and Suites in
Robbinsville, NC on Thursday, September 4.  This hotel is considered clean,
'biker friendly' and near route 129 (aka the dragon). I was quoted a 'biker
rate' of $43.95 per night by the hotel manager on arrival.  To my surprise
when I checked out on Saturday, September 5, I had a bill of $108.80 of which
$53.95 plus tax was charged for the second night.

I asked the manager to adjust this charge to the price she quoted me and was
told, "All hotels raise their rates on the weekend."  I explained, of course,
this wasn't the rate she quoted me nor was this information posted anywhere
inside or outside of the hotel.  Her retort was, "If I change our policy for
you I'll have to do it for everone else."

This revisionist reply was the source of my letter to the Microtel corporate
offices.  Their reply was a rebuff and directions to once again contact the
manager at the Robbinsville Microtel.  Further discussion with the manager
brought this kernel of wisdom, "our website makes clear what prices we
charge."  So, here is the bottom line . . . I found this hotel to be clean,
convenient and ostensibly 'biker friendly' but I certainly cannot say the same
for their business integrity or customer service.  If you're heading for the
Deal's gap area I would encourage you to avoid this hotel at least until they
bring their business practices in line with customer's expectations of
integrity and transparent pricing policies.

If you need to stay in the Robbinsville area you may want to look at some of
these other establishments instead:

http://www.tapocolodge.com/

http://www.blueboarinn.com/

http://www.phillipsmotelonline.com/

Five Points Motel: 828-479-4714

YourMotelManagmentMayVary

Pap

"Holding business accountable to fair and ethical practices."