Re: [ST] Went to repace fuel fittings and.... (plastic elbow)

I just pulled my gas tank to have the sender replaced under warranty. I
too noticed evidence that the grey plastic elbow had been seeping fuel
from the threads. The mechanic said that the plastic disconnect above
it had to be removed to remove the elbow (for clearance, as you found
out) and that disconnect would likely break in the process. The parts
man looked up that fitting and found, as yours did, that it is only
available as a nearly $90 assembly. He also shared with me that Ducati
uses the same item, but makes it available as an item for considerably
less than $90. Had you not damaged yours, you probably could have
resealed and reused it, since you were going to metal disconnects
anyway, negating a catastrophic loss if the plastic one above the elbow
was broken during removal. I also had seepage from the lower portion of
the tank side-plate gasket, and it turned out that one of the brass
looking spacers, that are supposed to be at every hole, was missing.
The mechanic replaced the fuel filter with an equivalent but
considerably less expensive Ducati filter and replaced that gasket,
which was about $22. So now I should have no gas leaks, assuming
nothing untoward happens to the plastic disconnects when I reassemble.
I intend to replace the disconnects with the metal ones once Triumph
makes them available for warranty replacement, which I'm told is
forthcoming. My next concern is that the leaking fuel sender may have
deteriorated the "O"-ring seal for the alternator, since it was leaking
just above it. Anyone else experienced this and found this "O"-ring to
be bad? Don't really want to go to the trouble to pull the alternator
only to find the "O"-ring to be OK. But if I still have an oil leak,
I'm betting that is where it is leaking.

Dennis
Scottsdale, AZ
'00 RS, miss me yellow