Re: [ST] Giving your kids rides

Eric:

Don't know what state you are in but, for example, legal age for kids to
ride in Washington state is 5 years of age with the ability to reach the
rear pegs. My daughter first rode behind me when she was 6 or 8, maybe, but
it was more because I didn't feel ready to take on that responsibility any
sooner. I think 6 years of age is fine, depending on your daughter's ability
to follow instructions. My daughter was about 11 or 12 when she asked to go
on a LONG ride (800 miles in a day) and she did fine. They WILL fall asleep
on long trips...you should decide on how you intend to handle this, in
advance. (And you really can't ask them to hold on to your waist for 800
miles even though that is the recommended and safest way). I felt better
after I added the backrest to my Corbin knowing I could accelerate out of
trouble without losing my daughter off the back end.

Of course it almost goes without saying that there is a greater risk factor for anyone on a motorcycle than there is in a cage. Something for parents to think about before they let their kids ride. (I thought about it, then I let her ride)!

End of st-digest V2002 #1283