RE: [ST] Oil Curiosity, Hopefully not an Oil Thread

Rod,

The pre-02 owner's manuals recommended the 15-50 Mobil 1 4T motor oil that
our Triumph dealer's like to sell for upwards of $50 per 4 liters.  This is
a full synthetic motor oil and is recommended for service after the initial
break in period.

You can buy this stuff at your local Triumph dealer or essentially the
identical Mobil 1 in 15-50 at your local Wal-mart for about $20 for four
quarts, a bit less if you buy the 6 quart case.  Or you can use any number
of synthetic, semi-synthetic, or non-synthetic motorcycle oils available in
many locations.  The big things to look for are the API  or JASO ratings,
the viscosity of 15-40 or 15-50 and the ABSENCE of an energy conserving
label.

The full synthetic motor oils make the gearbox smoother and seem to improve
mileage somewhat.  They also extend oil change intervals.  The big thing
with motor oils, IMO, is to use the recommended viscosity and rating and
change them at least every 3000 miles (a bit more for full synthetic).

Dan Wallander
www.danwallander.com
Albuquerque, NM
'99 Triumph Sprint ST
'74 BMW R90/6

I really think I'm confused as to what kind of oil is "recommended" for my
'02 ST.  Since I'm a new guy to the list, I'd be willing to bet I'm not the
first guy to ask the following question, "What makes that Triumph oil worth
$12 a quart? (probably a liter, but close enough)  Considering the following
information, there is conflicting data as to exactly what's in that silver
bottle marked Triumph blend.  Does it really have a hot rating of 50 making
it contradict the Service Manual?

Anyone have the real answer on this???

Thanks,

Rod