RE: [ST] Oil Curiosity, Hopefully not an Oil Thread

This is correct.  The transmission gears shear the oil molecules and
accelerate its breakdown.

"Sport Rider" has had an pair of oil articles in the last 2 issues,
including chemical analysis.  15W-50 M1 is little different from MX4T.  It
does have a little more moly, but not that much.  I believe the car oil
would be fine.  I may run it after the warranty is up.

The service manual says any 10W-40 synthetic or semi-synthetic oil that
meets MA *and* SH ratings.  0W and 5W anything and 10W-50 is not allowed.

No one has addressed the most disturbing part of this oil thing.  That's
WHY does Triumph require synthetic oil?  Are some bearings so small they
run too hot for dino squeezings?

John Albright
'02 RS
Chattanooga

The fact that the transmission runs in the same oil as the engine is the
most
significant difference between automobiles and motorcycles.
The wet clutch is secondary. The clutch does not effect the oil, but the
oil
could cause clutch problems. So special additives like moly and such could
be a problem.

In all of the oil tests / reviews that I have read, there is not much
difference between motorcycle and automotive oils.

Many many bikes have run, without problems, with automotive oils. I
personally have never had problems with Mobil 1 15w-50 car oil.

David W. Funk
'00 Triumph Sprint ST
Pleasanton, CA

*