Re: [ST] Brake pad change help

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, John Petrey, Jr. wrote:

> How do I get the old brake pads off
> I'm changing REAR on ST
> Replacing with OEM (the stock ones lasted 24K)
> I have rear tire off, caliper undone
> But can't see how to get old pads off
> And new ones re-attached.
> Is there a clip? A screw or bolt?

You'll prolly wanna put the caliper back onto the bike momentarily, just
finger tight on the bolts is fine, so you can slacken the retaining pins.

There's 2 of them you'll see from the left side of the caliper, they are
hex head (allen) but I forget the metric size.  Take care of these, they
are soft, so use the right size driver and don't over torque them on
reassembly like a shop did to mine.

Once you have the retaining pins loose, displace the caliper, remove the
pins, and the pads should drop out.  I like to clean the sides of the
pistons (pots) while I'm in there, and check that the big pins that the
plate the pushes the pads together slides easily and is lubbed ok.

A tip I was taught was to clean the retaining pins before reassembly and
sand them lightly to smooth, apply some copperslip type grease lightly to
them before reinserting and after this last adventure I use a little
anti-seize on the threads of the pin too.

There is an anti rattle spring clip in the top of the caliper, you'll need
to pay attention to it when inserting the new pads, press the pad into the
spring to align the holes so the pin slides through.

Torque the mounting bolts to 40Nm and the retaining pins to 20Nm.  Check
for firmness and operation, you may need to bleed the line.

I'm only half awake and rambling this, so if any Q's come up holler, I've
done this 2 or 3 times on ST's.

- --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST -mine
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 VFR800FI -hers         /~\
"No I don't want a pickle..."   /H\   '89 Hawk GT  -ours   ASCII \ / Against
      bil@xxxxxxxxxx           (=O=)  AMA, CMH-Moto,      Ribbon  X  HTML
"Drink Real Ale"  "Quch!"  #3    U    DoD(6.66), HSTA!  Campaign / \ Mail