[ST] Why synthetic...the last word

Mike:  The analysis didn't reveal anything other than the viscosity change.  Nice thing, though...wear metal levels were okay as in nothing to be concerned with.  As for using 20w50 in the colder months, I don't typically ride much or often if the temp is lower than about 50 deg F.  The low temp range of 20w50 is about 32 deg F so as long as you are starting the bike above that temperature, you could stay with the heavy oil, technically speaking.  Depending on the kind of driving you do in the cold and depending on what you call cold might dictate the oil grade you should use.  Short trips, low speeds, oil not really heating up, temps lower than 40 degrees I would go with 10w40.  If you are on the highway (10-15 miles or more) and temps above 40 degrees then I would stay with the 20w50.

Lastly, FYI, I traded my Sprint in last May for a different bike.  A big one with 6 cylinders and 1800 cc's.  I am currently running 10w40 in that big boat per manufacturer's specs but when I drain the oil this fall I will have it analyzed to see how it's behaving.  Based on the results, I may change up to 20w50, again.