Re: [ST] Here's a poser

In a previous email, Andy libby stated:
> I removed both terminals to notice thatthey were pitted and dirty.  I
>  lightly took a fine emory cloth to the ends of the cables and batter
>  terminals and attached the cables back firmly.

I checked the battery terminals and both were tight and clean.

In a previous email, Harries, Mort stated:

In a previous email, peter.chittum@xxxxxxxxxxxx stated:
> Anyway, when i took my bike in for the 12k service, they found the
> starter switch was corroded. I hadn't experienced any of the
> difficulty, but I have no doubt, had my dealer not found it and
> replaced it, I would have.

Yesterday at lunch I trotted out and dismantled the starter switch. Hit
the contacts w/ some 400 grit sandpaper, reassembled, fired it up with
only a little more pressure than normal. (Sidebar: When the company is
"in" I park my bike in front of one of the trucks inside the pier. Well,
it turns out that the pigeons have found a new place directly above my
spot to roost during the day. Can you say "speckled paint job?")

When I went to leave work the old problem resurfaced. After several
attempts it started.

When I got home I dismantled the starter switch again and took a good
look in there. The contacts were clean. I thought that maybe they
weren't making contact. I slipped a piece of tissue in there, pressed
the button and pulled; the tissue ripped where it should. I went and got
my trust ohmmeter and took a reading. With the ignition off and the
button not depressed I read 120 ohms (hmmm.) Pressing the button I got 0
ohms. Jiggling it did nothing. I started to think (WHOA! Danger Will
Robinson!) If the lights dim when the button is pressed then I must be
getting continuity; maybe there is something else down the line. A-HA
The starter solenoid! I tried feeling my way along the loom and decided
to remove the entire nose fairing. When I had the switch apart I had the
presence of mind to note the wire colors: both are black w/ an orange
stripe. At the connector one becomes white w/orange and the other goes
all black. I checked the readings at the connector and all were the
same. At the relay bank I found the relay with the same wire colors and
noticed that it appeared to not be seated all the way. This relay is the
top one. This 40 amp relay has a tab with a hole in it. I removed the
relay and checked the readings and all were the same. I removed the
relay cover and everything looked clean. I plugged it back in with the
cover off and turned on the ignition and hit the starter button. The
relay contacts closed and it started right up without any delay. I shut
it off and tried again two more time. Each time it started without a
problem. I put everything, except the fairing, back together and it
started right up again. It seems that it may have been just a loose relay.

I had just had it in for its 12,000 mile service and the warranty runs
out in another week.

In a previous email, Denis Liakos stated:
> May I suggest a liberal application of either contact cleaner or a
> blast of WD- 40? Maybe some spooge is in there, wreaking havoc with
> the electrical continuity thing...

Spooge!?! What are doing with YOUR mistresses?

- --
Steve "Devil Dawg" Lawler
Verona, NJ, USA, Earth

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"If you haven't found something strange during the day, it hasn't been
much of a day."
            -- John A. Wheeler