Re: [ST] Resending ... Newbie

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 10:52:09PM -0700, Craig Moddle wrote:
> Long & the short is that
> now I'm back looking for wheels. Sprint if possible but if I can't find a
> Triumph perhaps a VFR . (Don't really want to go that route)
>
> Have been seriously longing for a Trumpet ST or RS for a long time, and just
> found a 2000 RS in very nice shape but with 44,000 kilometres on it. Service
> records, taken care of, etc. Priced just under $6000 Canadian.

That seems maybe a tad high for a 2000 with that much mileage on it.  Is
it stock or does it have goodies on it?  And keep in mind that goodies
don't add much value to a used bike.  A bike with that many miles is
going to scare away most buyers.

> How long are the Sprints holding up? Will I be looking at an
> engine/tranny/whatever rebuild right away? Or am I going to get another
> 15000 k out of it before I need to worry? Or more? Should I run screaming
> from the deal? Or run quickly & quietly to the deal?

Hard to say.  I've heard of a few with 40,000 plus miles on them and one
with 106,000+ miles.  I've also heard of a few with engine rebuilds.
But if it's made it this far, it's probably good for a lot more.

> Anything less obvious I should be looking for? (Aside from the obvious
> tires, scrapes, leaks etc) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How many dealers do you have nearby?  If that number is 1, ask yourself
what you'd do if that dealer closed up or dropped Triumph from its
lineup, which is a very real possibility nowadays.

Ask the owner if it consumes oil, though you have no way to actually
determine that without riding it for 1000 or so miles.

Pull the edge of the right side bodypanel under the fueltank and look to
see if there are signs of gas weepage around the fittings.

See if the recall work has been done.

Keep in mind that resale value on Sprints is very low (at least in the
USA).  So if you're going to buy one, get it for a steal and plan on
keeping it forever because you're going to take a hit in the future if
ever try to sell it (especially if you add many km's to a bike with 44km
already).  If you're not sure about it and can't get a long test ride,
see if you can get a dealer to loan you a demo bike for a few hours or
days.

They're great bikes, though.  After you test ride one, you won't want to
give it back.  :)

Laters,
Brian
- --