RE: [ST] BT 020's and a Little Dragon Blog

<<
 2. Any idea what's with the floppin' over business?  Is it due to the steep
angle of the tread close to the sidewall, do I need to take a MSF Beginner's
Course, or maybe I just started a bad habit on new tires.  The latter could
happen, as it's been a while since I ran the Dragon.  (I can't say that I
HAVEN'T started a new bad habit.)

I did a Dragon run about a month & 1/2 ago with the last of my last set of
BT020's.  I can't say that I noticed a "flop" to them, even after slabing it
from St Louis.  I did notice that when I ran a BT010 front for a trackday,
and some normal riding, that it seemed to steer slower than a matched set of
BT020's.  I can say the BT020 did reasonably well under me, but I can't say
I was as confidant in them as the Pirelli Dragon GTS' I used to run.  I am
now flogging a set of Avon ST, and that familiar feeling from the Pirellis
is back.  I'm likin' this more.  I do hang off a bit, and I have Race
Tech'ed the front on my '02 Sprint ST.  Dunno if this matches your setup and
style, but I thought it worth mentioning.  BTW, did you get out of first
gear on the Dragon?  I found that first carried me thru the entire run
pretty much fine.  I touched redline on a couple spots, but that looked to
be about 70-80mph.

I have another thought about your speed weave.  A friend of mine just went
thru this with a set of Avon STs, a new front tire fixed it, because the one
he was running was out of round.  His was on a ST1300, and at about 110 it
would buck & weave pretty seriously.  It's worth looking at, try and suspend
the bike up, and watch the crown of the tire in relation to the fender, from
the side, as it spins.  Or have someone with a machine test it.

Steven "Dirty Dawg" Kohlscheen

End of st-digest V2002 #1216