RE: [ST] BT 020's and a Little Dragon Blog

 1.  Good idea.  Yes, there was originally a wheel weight on the front and
one on the rear.  The rear is still there.  I have no idea when the front
fell off, but I think it fell off only recently.  However, there is NO
difference between the day I rode out on the tires and today (i.e., still
feels like being in a semi's backwash).

The bike is NOT vibrating like you would expect from a wheel being out of
balance.  Nor is it head shake in anticipation of an up and coming tank
slapper.  (First time this happened I very carefully ran up the mph to see
if a tank slapper would happen.)  The backwash symptom sometimes settles
down, but is pretty much always there--it's only a matter of degree.  I
can't nail down if it occurs only at specific speeds, but I do know there is
no specific speed at which it stops and I can ride comfortably.  I've tried
to check for areas on the speedo in which I can depend on it to settle down,
but I can't find any such sweet spots.

One thing I will do from now on is make a mark on the center of the rim to
show me where the old weight was when I get new tires.  I'm also going to
ask for the wheel weight size for the new weight and mark that as well.  I
threw a wheel weight on a run from Kershaw, SC (three of us from the KRATs
were flag boys at an AHRMA vintage race) back to Knoxville, TN.  In the
first leg, I was able to go as fast as I wanted and the bike was smooth as
silk.  Somewhere on the 2nd leg I threw the rear wheel weight.  It was
immediately noticeable.  I had to drop speed to 95 mph to stop the shaking.
The bike shook like a Buell sitting still.  Could barely see  myself in the
mirror and couldn't focus on the road ahead due to body being vibrated to
death.  Made for a long, peaceful, view-the-scenery cruise home.

 2.  No, I don't know if the tires are mounted to spin in the correct
direction.  I'll check on this, tonight.

James '02 ST

Winter