RE: [ST] Closing Triumph Dealers

I understand the feeling, but don't share your conclusions.  I have toured
extensively on my ST and have luckily had few problems while on the road.
I've toured extensively through Montana, North and South Dakota, Idaho,
Washington, Wyoming and Canada, where there are few dealers of any kind.
Many of the dealers in our more rural states (Montana has yet to top 1
million people and it's our fourth largest state) don't even carry
sportbikes, because their customers want dirt bikes, cruisers and four
wheelers.  If they don't sell the bikes, they aren't going to have a part
for a VFR in stock either.

For awhile, the nearest Triumph dealer was over 200 miles away.  The nearest
Triumph dealer (that I could find) who could get parts into my hands in less
than a few days was in New Hampshire.  I live in New Mexico.  My local BMW
dealer doesn't even stock oil filters for my R90.  My ST left me on the side
of the road last year.  If this had happened in British Columbia (I had
returned from there the week before) I would have found out how easy/hard it
is to transport a motorcycle from Prince George to Albuquerque.  A failure
of this sort on any brand in such a location might have meant the same
thing.

I really like my Triumph as my main road bike and there isn't anything out
there right now that interests me enough to draw me to another brand.  I
usually pick a destination and find my way there.  If my ride fails in any
way to get me there, that's just part of my adventure.

BMW's accounted for about 20% of the failures in this year's Iron Butt
Rally.  100% of the Buells in the rally (admittedly just 1) and Triumphs (2)
in the rally finished the rally.

I could always buy a Road King.  There are Harley dealers everywhere...

Dan Wallander
www.danwallander.com
Albuquerque, NM
'99 Triumph Sprint ST
'74 BMW R90/6

I just rode from WA through WY, MT, ID and SD, I saw
ONE Triumph dealer last year in Rapid City SD.
Triumph/Indian-NOW they dropped the Triumph line as
well. In 4 states I didnt see shit for Triumph
dealers. There are a couple here in the Puget Sound
but if something Triumph specific had broken, I would
be PHUKKED.

I have waited for this new Rocket III for a long time
but I refuse to buy another Triumph with their current
dealer coverage. I now realize how bad it would be to
run into problems somewhere. I tour to much to have to
mail order parts to a motel room from 3 states away
and reassemble my baby behind a Safeway somewhere.

To review--Triumph has helped me make the decision to
buy a BMW next. I will demote my ST to local commuter
and have the R1150GS/R1200GS for everything else by
spring. This hurts, I love my ST. Like a psychotic
girlfriend, Tons of fun but dont cover to much
distance w/it.

Tony Burke
00 ST