Re: [ST] RAT Raid, Chicken Strips and Touchdown

>I have no chicken strips on my rear BT020, I run them sidewall to
>sidewall. The front BT010 has maybe 1/2" of shine on each side.
>I've never touched a peg or boot (I keep my toes on the pegs so the
>boot won't touch), yet Eric has a lot of unused rubber on his back
>tire and is dragging pegs.  Is it because he was riding two up?

Several things come to mind on whether or not you drag your pegs.

Suspsension setup - Obviously, firmer won't drag as much.

Chain Adjuster (ST only) - depending on where you are in the chain
adjustment rotation your ground clearance will change.

Body (and luggage) weight - Less mass is better whether it's one body or two

Road Condition - Bumps will take away ground clearance

Hanging off - More lean for you, less for the bike

But one of the biggest influences is your throttle and braking
technique. Harsh braking or sloppy throttle transitions will eat up a
lot of ground clearance.

I don't put a lot of stock into how much someone's pegs are ground
off, or whether they run their tires to the edge. What I'm impressed
by is guys who run away from me and still look like they're smooth as
ice. Guys that run away from me but look like they're trying too
hard, I don't care to be behind any ways.
- --
Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA - http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/motorcycles
'99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA)
'01 KLR650 - for exploring the North Coast backroads
'97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt
'79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned