Re: [ST] head bearing gone at 6000 miles

At 10:50 18/09/03, you wrote:
>The head bearings have gone on my 2001 ST. The bike has done just 6500
>miles and is 2yrs & 2months old.

This would definitely come under the remit of unreasonable lifetime. I
think Rupert Galea made a point that you might want to take up with Triumph
(and/or your dealer). If the bike is in obviously good condition and
doesn't show signs of abuse (i.e. you're not a wheelie monster) then an act
of good faith where you either split the costs or one side pays for the
part and the other for labour might be reasonable - assuming they are not
budging on the outside 2 year deal. It depends on how helpful your dealer
is and how well you get on with them.

>My dealer made an application to Triumph for the repair to be done under
>warranty. Triumph have refused to cover it because the bike is 2 months
>outside warranty and the head bearing is a 'wear & tear' item.

Going by the letter of the warranty that's hard to deny, but be calm,
reasonable and express your disappointment in this item's lifetime, and you
might still have a chance.

>I feel a little hard done by here, as although the bearing is not expected
>to last forever I do expect a life of more than 6000 miles. In fact, the
>Triumph service schedule does not require the head bearing to
>be lubricated or inspected until the 12000 mile service, so Triumph
>obviously expect them to last for a very minimum of 12000 miles.

Remember that the service intervals are 6,000 miles or 12 months, which
occurs first. But you are right in that you'd expect 12k before any
detectable wear. Rupert has already mentioned that the ST appears to be
either severe on these bearings, or they are not quite right on delivery.
(Is this a PDI item?)

>I use the bike daily to commute to work, the roads are good and free from
>potholes.

Strewth - no potholes? Where do you live/work?!? ;-)

>Am I right to feel let down by Triumph?

I don't know about let down, but certainly disappointed. Let's face it,
we've all read the stories of how BMW owners have had much larger items
replaced outside the warranty period - and I would expect BMW quality from
Triumph as they are surely aiming at that market? [Only without the beards,
pipes or slippers ...? ;-) ]

- - Spud.