[ST] Exhaust Smells

Today I did a backroads ride through the foothills with a buddy following on
his HD.  After about an hour, we stopped and he asks me if I use racing
fuel.  He says the exhaust smell is rich, almost like I'm burning NOS (I'm
not).

I use ordinary 89 octane, but I do add nearly a quart of synthetic every
1500 miles.  I also have a Two Brothers CF pipe which must be more
free-flowing than the stock pipe and a race tune in the EFI. Fuel economy is
somewhere between 43 and 53 mpg.   Is there anything to worry about here?
Is there another adjustment I should consider?

George Cope
Roseville, CA
'99 ST Midnight