Re: [ST] RS shock dimension?

Ken,
Let me go over the entire thing because I've had several people asking me
about it.

I went to the Cleveland MC show where I talked to the Hyperpro guys.  I had
already asked a lot of questions to their tech guys in Holland but still
wasn't sure whether it was BS or not.  Really was trying to decide Race Tech
or Hyperpro.  Bought their Combi-Kit, fork springs and shock spring.  Even
though I thought my stock spring wasn't right, the shock spring was a bonus.
$235 for RT emulators and fork springs versus $230 for forks and shock.  The
deal even got better because I was able to haggle the price down to $205.

The fork springs were a slam dunk.  No problems with the install, and for me
they did everything I had hoped for.  The shock was totally different.  Now,
I got to tell you, Murphy developed his laws at my house growing up, so I
got to develop the rules for being anal retentive when it comes to bike.  I
measured the shock spring they sent me and compared it to the one on the
bike.  Three quarters of an inch short.   I also had read that the stock
Showa was not rebuildable so I was having lots of doubt whether this was
do-able at all.  Talked to tech support, Steve at Micro/Hyperpro USA and
Peter (spring design engineer) at Hyperpro in Holland.  This was on a
Sunday, talk about being amazed.   They had me measure all kinds of stuff on
the spring, but when push came to shove,  I sent it to Chicago where they
took it apart, checked out the stock spring, Holland determined what was
right and Fedexed the correct spring.  Hyperpro put my new spring on, set
the adjustments and Fedexed it to me.  Static sag was within 2mm of
recommended which had a plus or minus 5 mm to start with, not bad.

I have a 2002 ST with SSSA.  I believe that there is confusion between the
RS's and ST because some special versions like the 04 have SSSA's while the
majority have traditional swing arms.  I had my dealer look up the part
numbers on RS and ST shocks and they are different.  From what I could see
of my dealer's computerized fiche the RS's with SSSA were treated exactly
like an ST (except they do have the RS frame and other parts like the
plastic and clocks).   I have sent an email to Steve at Hyperpro about the
interest by Sprint owners in the shock spring and hopefully if you contact
him by phone Hyperpro USA
1-888-963-1212 or info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx they have this all straightened
out.

The situation of an RS receiving a Penske shock that is an inch too short
totally confuses me.  I think I know :-) that an RS should be shorter than
the ST if it is the traditional swing arm.  So if you got an ST shock, it
should be longer, not shorter.  When it comes in shorter still, I don't have
a clue, but Peter, the design engineer was having this same problem when I
was trying to get the right spring.  It's like there may have been a change
between pre-02's or something similar.

Just to let you know why I got the Hyperpro's and how they are turning out,
I'll add the following.  I weight 230 pounds and am almost 6' 3", 33"
inseam.  I noticed that although the ST handled well for me in just about
all situations on smooth road, it was harsh to the point the front tire
would actually bounce off the ground especially on sharp cornered bumps.
>From a previous bike I knew that RT emulators and springs would fix this
issue.  The Hyperpro springs did too, for less money and a much easier
install.  On the rear, the shock was OK, but just OK.  I can't explain every
situation and none of them were bad or dangerous, but I would feel a bit of
a wallow, plus they were harsh like the front.  There was a possibility that
I could have played with the adjustments and got most of it fixed, but with
the Hyperpro, I don't have to, it's gone.  Feels like my a-- is glued to the
ground.  I can not explain this but I think you will understand.  The ride
is NOT soft,  it is just that harshness is gone.

I hope this helps,
Rod